Monday, April 28, 2014

My Very First Century!


I honestly cannot believe what I've accomplished. It was so hard to ride solo and watch each mile slowly tick by. I can honestly remember each and every mile. Miles 1-20 were the hardest I've ever done. Miles 10-20 I had a really strong headwind. Without that wind I could have been going 18mph, it was a slight downhill, but I could only manage 10-12mph. I got to mile 20 and was so tempted to quit. Miles 20-30 were the hardest climbing miles, but I had the wind at my back so I pushed on. I averaged 20mph on those miles....pretty incredible because when I rode that course 3 weeks ago, I was averaging 13mph...that's a strong wind!
Miles 30-60 were against a headwind again. Not as strong, was able to manage 15mph except on this one hill. It was about a half mile long and I was in my lowest gear and about to tip over from going so slow. I was going 7-8mph up that hill. It was so crummy! Miles 60-80 were the best miles of the 100. Still crummy, but mentally I was finally thinking I would be able to finish. Mile 80 hit and I was dead! I may have cried a little at the thought of having 20 more miles left! I stopped to stretch and eat and just didn't think I could go any further, I was still dealing with a headwind and would be for another 10 miles. I was honestly so angry. I pushed on. Mile 92 I got ut of the funk...well actually I turned a corner and lost the headwind. But now it was blowing me sideways. There were a few times when a big gust blew and I almost tipped over. It was wild. The last 4 miles were a piece of cake. And then, after just over 6.5 hours in the saddle, and 7.5 hours out on the adventure, it all ended. There has never been a sweeter moment. To know I actually did something that scared the heck out of me, and had horrible windy conditions, I have never been so proud. It boggles my mind, actually. I found a new strength I never knew I had. It still seems so unreal. It amazes me. I'm pretty sore today, but not as sore as I thought I'd be. My wrists are the most sore but other than that, I feel good. It's amazing to me that at mile 80, I was never going to ride my bike again. I hated what I was doing. I tried so hard to stay relaxed, but that wind killed me. But this morning, I have a million and one ideas of how I should train these next 11 weeks to make this 200 mile ride manageable! I'm on cloud 9 this morning, maybe it's because I have a rest day today and a lighter training week...or maybe it's because I conquered my first 100 miler!!! :) :)











No comments:

Post a Comment