Monday, May 26, 2014

First Ultra Marathon Experience Part 2

These are MY OWN thoughts/opinions after experiencing a 1 mile loop flat course. Things do change when it comes to ultras with elevation gains and not having an aid station every mile with food and water.

When they say ultra marathons are all mental....they really mean that. I learned about a few of the runner's training leading up to race day. Most didn't run anything over 6 miles. Seriously. They were either injured and had to rely on cross training or where so busy with life that they weren't able to run much, so they too put in a lot of cross training. The 2 others I've spoken to ran quite a bit more. One gal ran some 60 mile training weeks and the other ran several 100 mile training weeks. They all hit goals but they finished at different times. (Which really doesn't matter) what I'm saying is, training is only a small part to ultra marathons. It really is all mental. In all reality, I could have done a lot more than the 29 miles I did, but again, I have other things that are more important to me right now.

Thinking about the 24 hour time. To get 100 miles in 24 miles, you have to do 4 miles an hour. The hardest part is from sun set to sun rise in the middle of the night. Exhaustion sets in and mental toughness needs to take over, otherwise things get really hard. Granted with getting the 100 miles in, a lot of things need to go perfect. If your nutrition or water intake isn't spot on, things can head south real fast. (Again, this is all things I learned while pacing and watching. I'm no way an expert, especially since I have never done anything more than a marathon.)

Running ultra marathons are easier than running marathons. This is also something I have heard a lot. I have a couple different thoughts about this. The people running the ultras are much more willing to talk and help push others to continue than those at marathons. From what I have experienced anyways. Marathon runners are focused on a finish time and less likely to stop to help someone else. Yes, there are some who will stop, but most marathon runners train to hit certain times. Another thing on this topic on why ultras are easier, most ultra runners aren't running THE WHOLE TIME like marathon runners running marathons. (Again going back to hitting certain times in marathons as opposed to just finishing an ultra.) I've experienced on my own that running a 5 hour marathon, while it still hurts during, definitely has a much shorter, easier recovery time than trying to run a 3.5-4 hour marathon. I ran a 5 hour marathon during my Crazy Pyramid Challenge last summer...in 7 consecutive days I ran a 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon, half marathon, 10k, and 5k. While it still was very hard running a marathon, I still was able to run a half marathon the next day, with no soreness. Slower paced runs/walks are much easier to recover from, which is why ultra marathons are "easier". Not all ultra marathoners walk walk/run the distance. During Nanny Goat I saw several people running THE. WHOLE. TIME.

Which brings me to a story I'd like to share. There was this one gal, holy cow, she blew me away. I was lapped SEVERAL times by her as I walked with friends. So I saw her often. She was a machine. Go, go, go for 24 hours. She ended up finishing 100 miles around 22 hours and took 2nd place for overall female. To me, that is inspirational! Everyone out doing the 12 or 24 hour event was inspiring, but this was different. I don't want to ruffle any feathers at all, but walking is so different than running. Although walking still hurts, running is a lot more impact which is harder on the body. Seeing this gal run lap after lap, never stopping, was truly amazing!! She was what I thought an ultra runner was. It was really inspiring to watch her. Please understand that I believe everyone out there, walking or running, is an ultra marathoner. In my own tiny head, I had created my own visions of what ultra marathon runners looked like. I was really surprised at how much walking there was for most the people out there. I just had put people who do ultras on a much higher level than me, "just a marathon runner." But I realized that me trying to get a 3 1/2 marathon finish was just as hard and just as amazing as the folks out doing their thing in an ultra. I would never run or walk 100 miles and I'm sure most those people would say they wouldn't go try to run a 3.5 marathon. With that being said, I was completely amazed by the people out walking the 100 miles. It just goes to show that anyone can do an ultra marathon. I had told myself there's no way I'd ever do anything over a marathon but I've signed up for a 24 hour race at the end of December. I'm not sure how it's going to go, but in the 20 hours I was at this event this weekend I did almost 30 miles. I'm hoping to run 50-60 miles in 12 hours. The event only has 24+ hour events so I'm signing up for the 24 hour and really RUNNING for the first 12 hours. I then want to hang around to encourage and motivate the other people going the other 12 hours, that was the best part of this past weekend. I loved cheering and encouraging everyone who was finishing. That was amazing. I really believe everyone should go and watch some kind of running event and just watch the finish line. Nothing is more inspirational! Seeing the pure determination and mental toughness is simply beyond words. I truly learned so much about life itself at this event. But I will leave that for yet another post! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck training for your ultra. The only limits we have are set with our minds. If you believe you can achieve almost anything. Check out smushtushruns.blogspot 2nd @ nanny goat also on Instagram @ smushtush

    ReplyDelete